Home » Posts tagged 'project'
Tag Archives: project
“A Cyber Security Adventure”: A Project on Improving High School Students’ Awareness on Cyber Security
Technological developments have taken the humankind many steps away in terms of improving standards of the daily life and making everything simpler to do. Nowadays, we can make many things by just surfing over the Web and using our personal information to buy something or complete some tasks even we are in a travel or walking to somewhere. But it is clear that more influence of the digital world has caused vulnerabilities, which threat our private information to be stolen by black hat hackers while it is processed or stored within the digital world. That has caused the field of cyber security to appear and make developments for making the digital world safer for us. But is everything ok since there are many kinds of security software and hardware components trying to protect us from attacks? Because there is the sensitive human factor in the center of all systems, the answer for that question is a big NO… Since the human factor has been known as a vital factor and it is important to educate people for having a desired level of awareness for cyber security, there is currently a great effort by educational institutions to prevent people from the latest tricks by black hat hackers. A remarkable project in this manner is from Turkey and it is called as “A Cyber Security Adventure” (In Turkish: “BSGM: Bir Siber Güvenlik Macerası”).
As written and managed by Assistant Prof. Dr. Utku Kose (from Dept. of Computer Engineering, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta / Turkey), A Cyber Security Adventure is an educational project supported by The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK). The project has been supported by TUBITAK under the project group of 4004, which means that the projects supported under that ID should include educational activities for people in the heart of the nature. Considering that scope, Dr. Utku Kose has used some remarkable technologies like virtual – augmented reality and artificial intelligence to provide interactive, story based educational activities for high school students at the city of Isparta, Turkey.
With the project grant around of 15.000 Euro, A Cyber Security Adventure was built over two stages as follows:
- Face-to-Face Training: That stage is five-day training for students in computer labs of Suleyman Demirel University (Dept. of Computer Engineering). The aim is to teach essentials of cyber security and make the students ready for the Nature Camp taking place in Egirdir county of Isparta, Turkey. Egirdir County is full of nature with the Egirdir Lake and with an old district called as Island where the Nature Camp is realized.
- Nature Camp: That stage is nine-day accommodated camp and it is the exact adventure where students group in different teams and try to solve an interactive scenario by using their mobile devices, notebooks, computers…etc. by keeping in touch with the nature.
Two educational stages of the project were done between 27th August and 9th September 2018 and a total of 40 students from 10 local high schools in Isparta took place to experience the adventure. All teams were supervised by guides, who are academicians and some MSc. and PhD. students from the university and all the technological infrastructure was controlled by the remaining project staff. The adventure was briefly based on finding the black hat hacker among five suspicious shown to the students. At that point, all students have transformed into some kind of detective and ethical hackers (white hat hackers) to search for clues by searching for objects with augmented reality over QR codes, collecting special items and solving puzzles over mobile applications and using all gathered information to gain some points. According to gathered points, a special combinatorial optimization based artificial intelligence systems dynamically directs each team to newly determined sub-scenarios and puzzles of the main story. According to the dynamically created scenario flows, it was always not too clear for all teams if they were near to the end or not, but in time more efforts brought advantages and everything was easier to be solved at the end of the Nature Camp. Activities were supported with also special sports events, dramas, special quiz shows and many different activities allowing to gain knowledge and points.
As indicated by project manager Dr. Utku Kose, some important points of the A Cyber Security Adventure are as follows:
- It is interesting that the exact story was all in my mind as written by me and because of that, even other project staff did not know anything about the flow. So, not only students but also their guides were motivated to take the control, defeat other teams and search always for the happy end.
- Combination of the Egirdir nature (green areas, the lake, old buildings with narrow old roads) and technological components of virtual – augmented reality or artificial intelligence made everything enjoyable for everybody. It was great for the students to interact with the real world but find some virtual objects and again use those objects to talk with some real people for taking clues, and the ability of artificial intelligence system for directing teams for better combinations of solution nodes allowed everything to complete in optimum time and entertainment level.
- Activities done in especially Nature Camp have enabled students to learn more about searching for information, analyzing situations and designing alternative solutions for different problems. They were motivated to also work individually and in groups, take responsibilities, and also directing team members to do some tasks.
- In time, the project created its own eco system, which means that some teams built fake objects for trolling other teams. Some teams tried to cooperate and sometimes the level of competition and ambition was improved great so that there were short, simple fights or discussions among people. But at the end, everything was great for everybody and all of us have learned many things from that adventure.
Results from the project are provided to the scientific literature nowadays via articles, conference papers, chapters, and even presentations made in different events. On the other hand, it is already planned to establish new versions of the project. Dr. Utku Kose and the project staff also think about moving the project to a wider, international audience. For more information, the Web site of the project can be visited here: http://sdubsgm.com/
- 38We are all familiar with the movies in which robots take control over humans and then chaos is brought into the world just because these forms of artificial intelligence became too developed. But is this actually possible or is it just an invention of the movie directors in order to attract more audience? Researcher Utku Kose tried to depict the possible scenarios in which this could happen and he also came up with some solutions in the article Are We Safe Enough in the Future of Artificial Intelligence? A Discussion on Machine Ethics and Artificial Intelligence Safety. Starting from…
- BRAIN: Solving Optimization Problem via Vortex Optimization Algorithm and Cognitive Development Optimization Algorithm32The article written by Ahmet Demir from Harahalli Vocational School, Usak University, Ușak, Turkey and Utku Kose from Computer Sciences Application and Research Center, Usak University, Ușak, Turkey is a research which takes into account the importance of optimization and of solving its problems. They propose intelligent optimization techniques based on Artificial Intelligence in order to use them for optimization problems. So that they can provide a comparative study on the employment of classical optimization solutions and Artificial Intelligence solutions, two optimization algorithms are proposed: Vortex Optimization Algorithm (VOA) and Cognitive Development Optimization Algorithm (CoDOA). Optimization is defined as choosing…
- 30Social Media in Academia: Research and Teaching provides relevant theoretical frameworks, and the latest research on social media and its challenges in the educational and political context. Our conference is essential for professionals aiming to improve their understanding of social media at different levels of education and in civic/social/political engagement, as well as researchers in the fields of e-learning, educational science, political science, new media, information and communication sciences, and much more. Details about SMART 2015 Keynote speakers Topics of the conference Committees Deadlines and instructions for authors Fee and registration Location of SMART 2015 Participants and Schedule This year, our…
- Review on "A Genetic Algorithm Approach to Regenerate Image from a Reduce Scaled Image Using Bit Data Count"28One of the biggest problems that we can encounter when scaling a picture that’s small to a big dimension is the fact that small scaled image are losing some important bits of information which cannot be recovered when scaled back. This problem though, can be fixed using multi-objective genetic algorithm. Researchers Kishor Datta Gupta and Sajib Sen are describing a genetic algorithm approach to recover lost bits while image resized to the smaller version using the original image data bit counts which are stored while the image is scaled. This method is very scalable to apply in a distributed system.…
This MOOC consists of selected conference presentations as short videos that demonstrate the main outcomes of the authors’ contributions.
The scope is to enhance the discussions and exchange between the participants in the conference and all those interested in the SMART 2016 topics. If you enroll and complete the MOOC, you can gain an open badge as a record of your achievement.
The MOOC is supported by a grant of the Romanian National Authority for Scientific Research and Innovation, CNCS – UEFISCDI, project number PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-2040.
- 43SMART 2015 - Social Media in Academia: Research and Teaching Voroneţ, Gura Humorului, Romania, Oct. 30 - Nov. 1, 2015 If you have an Android mobile device, you can download this application, containing the real-time schedule of the application: CLICK HERE!!! or here: http://www.edusoft.ro/smart/Smart2015.apk Social Media in Academia: Research and Teaching provides relevant theoretical frameworks, and the latest research on social media and its challenges in the educational and political context. Our conference is essential for professionals aiming to improve their understanding of social media at different levels of education and in civic/social/political engagement, as well as researchers in the fields of e-learning, educational science,…
- 41SMART 2015 will take place between the 30th of October, 2015, and the 1st of November, 2015, in Voroneț village, close to Gura Humorului town, Suceava County, Romania. The conference will take place at Voronet Residence. We recommend you to accommodate here, for this pension renders a special offer: 2 nights of accommodation in a double room (on the 30th and on the 31st of October) with breakfast for two included, all at 240RON/55EUR (120RON per person). Moreover, a package of another 120RON per person consists of: - 30/10 dinner; - 31/10 lunch; - 31/10 gala dinner; - 01/11 lunch. If…
- 40Social Media in Academia: Research and Teaching provides relevant theoretical frameworks, and the latest research on social media and its challenges in the educational and political context. Our conference is essential for professionals aiming to improve their understanding of social media at different levels of education and in civic/social/political engagement, as well as researchers in the fields of e-learning, educational science, political science, new media, information and communication sciences, and much more. Details about SMART 2015 Keynote speakers Topics of the conference Committees Deadlines and instructions for authors Fee and registration Location of SMART 2015 Participants and Schedule This year, our…
- 38Here are some of the photos that were taken at SMART 2017 International Conference. You can find more on our facebook page. We want to thank all of the participants for the effort placed in their research papers and also extend an invitation to the next conference that will take place in Bacau, in June, 2018. Alerts and updates about the Call-for-Papers will also be posted on our official site.